As this is a long holiday weekend for the Sammons Center’s staff, we wanted to share a few 4th of July recipes that recipes we’ll be making this year. From salads and soups to BBQ and even dessert, we hope you are able to concoct one of these yummy recipes and have a fun, cool, and creative holiday!
Watermelon Blueberry & Feta Salad
- ½ seedless watermelon, cubed (about 8-10 cups)
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped (If you love mint, use more)
- For the dressing: 2 limes, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Combine the fruit, mint, and cheese in a bowl.
Toss in the lime juice or use the optional dressing.
White Gazpacho Soup (Cold)
An original recipe shared by Joanna St. Angelo | Executive Director
- 3 slices soft sandwich bread, crusts removed and torn in small pieces
- 1 Leek, washed thoroughly and sliced thin
- 1 – 2 medium cloves of garlic minced
- 1 lg. shallot diced
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds plus more sliced almonds for garnish
- 1 English cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves or inner stalks chopped
- 2 Tbspn Cream (or Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbspn Sherry Vinegar
- 1 – 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water (may not need all of this)
- Salt to taste
- Saute leeks, shallots and garlic until softened but not browned. Put in refrigerator to cool
- Soak torn bread in water for a few minutes
- Squeeze excess water from bread and put in blender
- Add almonds, vinegar, and cream to blender and process until smooth
- Add cooled leek mixture and process until smooth (process after each addition to ensure smooth texture)
- Add cucumber and a small amount of almond milk and process until smooth
- Add celery and more almond milk and process until smooth
- Add the rest of the almond milk and some water if needed for desired consistency
- Add salt to taste
- Process some more if texture is not as smooth as desired. Can be strained through a sieve or chinois but not necessary
- Chill completely
- To serve portion in bowls and sprinkle drops of green oil on top. Garnish with sliced almonds.
- For special presentation also add one or more edible flowers as garnish along with almonds and green oil.
Process 1 Tbspn chopped chives or other herb with ½ cup olive oil and let sit for an hour. Strain through a sieve and add a few drops to each bowl of soup before serving. Oil will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
LAVENDER ALMONDS (OPTIONAL GARNISH)
Saute ¼ cup sliced almonds in oil. Remove from oil and toss with mixture of 1 Tbspn salt and pinch of ground lavender.
Pork BBQ Skewers
Family recipe shared by Marica Cruz | Assistant Office Coordinator
- 4 lbs. pork shoulder sliced into thin pieces
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup calamansi or lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups Sprite or 7Up
- 3/4 cup banana ketchup
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
In a large bowl or storage container, arrange the pork pieces.
Add all the marinade ingredients. Mix well. Cover and marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight for best results.
Pierce about 4 to 5 pieces of pork onto a bamboo or wooden skewer.
Once the grill is ready start cooking the skewers for 3 to 5 minutes per side until the meat is thoroughly cooked flipping occasionally. Make sure to always add glaze to the BBQ when flipping. The glaze sauce ingredients are the same as the marinade ingredients minus the Sprite.
Good eaten with rice or by itself and served with spicy vinegar.
American Flag Strawberry Poke Cake
- 15 oz boxed white cake mix
- 1 cup water boiling
- 3 oz box strawberry flavored Jell-o
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 8 oz tub Cool-Whip non-dairy whipped topping
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries sliced thin
- 1 to 2 cups blueberries amount varies by size of the berries
- Make cake as directed on the back of the box for a 9×13″ pan.
- Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and “poke” the cake with a large fork all over.
- Mix together the boiling water and Jell-o until the Jell-o is completely dissolved. Pour in the cold water and mix well then pour evenly over the cake.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours.
- Combine the Cool-Whip, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla and beat until smooth with a hand mixer. Spread on top of cake. (Note- If you have any clumps of cream cheese in the frosting, it means your cream cheese was not softened enough. Try heating the prepared frosting in the microwave for 20 seconds and stir well to get the frosting nice and smooth.)
- Top with strawberry slices and blueberries to match the flag pattern. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Comment down below one of your favorite 4th of July recipes and if you tried one of ours!